National Poison Prevention Week, March 17th-23rd

March 19, 2013

Did you know that more than 2 million poisonings are reported across the country every year?  That’s nearly one every 15 seconds! Most happen in the household and more than half are in children younger than age 6!

The local poison control center works around the clock, every day of the year, to respond to your needs and questions about poisonings and potential hazards.  Most poisonings are unintentional and can be prevented.

This week is National Poison Prevention Week, and it is a good time to take a look around your house for potential hazards for your child.  Children, by nature, are curious and often touch or taste everything they see.

Tips for your family:

  • Keep household products out of reach or locked in cabinets, away from curious children.
    • Kitchen and bath cleaners, laundry soap, and bleach should be in high cabinets
    • Car maintenance items, such as anti-freeze and windshield washer fluid should be out of reach
    • Insect sprays and poisons should also be locked away from children
    • Even beauty products- nail polish remover, hairspray, rubbing alcohol, mouthwash, etc.- are harmful!
    • Keep prescription medications out of reach- and never refer to a medication as “candy”.
    • Medications for your pets should also be locked away, like flea medication, flea shampoo and powders, and heartworm medication.
  • Store items in their original container.
    • Use child-proof containers, many medications are brightly colored and shaped like candy
    • Keep pill boxes out of reach, especially when visiting relatives
    • Never put chemicals in bowls, sippy cups, soft drink bottles that your children may mistake for their use
  • Read dosage labels to avoid overdosing children with commonly used medications.
    • Check how soon you can give pain medications or fever reducers
    • Make sure your cough/cold medication does not have a pain/fever reducer in it if also using a pain/fever reducer
    • Keep multivitamins, especially if they contain iron, away from your child
  • Safely dispose of old or expired medications and chemicals, including cosmetics.
    • Many counties have cleanup days in the spring, which often include disposal of household chemicals, including medications.
    • If no local programs, mix medications with coffee grounds or kitty litter and place in a zip-lock bag in your trash to deter children and animals from getting into the mixture.

If you think your child has been exposed to a chemical or has ingested something poisonous, call the poison center immediately, 1-800-222-1222.

For more information, check out: www.PoisonHelp.hrsa.gov

Dr. Lloyd is moving!

On May 21st, 2018, she joined Portland Pediatrics! Her new office is located at:
Portland Pediatrics- Webster Office
(behind the Holt Road Wegmans)
1110 Crosspointe Lane, Suite D
Webster, NY 14580
Phone: 585.872.3390

New Families

We are accepting new patients! Please call to schedule a "meet and greet" visit to look around the office and ask any questions you have.

Recent Blog Posts

 

Connect With Us

Join us on Facebook and Twitter for up-to-the-minute health information and related resources.